Nick’s New Mexico Green Chile
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups roasted & peeled chopped green
- Chile peppers
- 10 oz. canned tomatoes crushed with juice
- 2 cloves – fresh garlic minced
- 1/8 Cup bacon drippings or lard
- 1/8 Cup Flour
- Salt to taste
- 2lbs. Cubed cooked pork or meat of choice. (Cook Beforehand)
In a dutch oven, heat bacon drippings until hot. Add flour until it looks like elmer’s glue. You may not need all the flour. Brown flour until caramel brown; if you don’t brown well enough, chile will look chalky.
Add water, whisking until all lumps are gone. Add tomatoes with juice, chilies, garlic and salt. At this point, chile may still be too thick; add a little more water; not too much. Add meat and let Simmer for 10 minutes.
Ta Da and Enjoy.